/* new */

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Peeking out from under

Spring of 2011 has vanished. No magic in my books could have done it so effectively. I have been immersed in The Daemon Prism, the third and last novel of the Collegia Magica, emerging every once in a while to attend a conference or convention. When at the computer, I've been working on the book. Two weeks ago now, I sent a first, very rough version to my editor. Whee! The freedom of having the story on the page is huge. Now I can start revising and make it a real story. But for a few days I've had to play catch-up: family, house,yard, plus one of teh most fun conventions I've ever done - MisCon, a regional sf/fantasy convention in beautiful Missoula, Montana. This is no podunk con - I blazed a trail for one George R.R. Something-other who will be the Writer Guest of Honor next year. (More about MisCon in another post.)

Now I've had a little vacation, it's time to get back to revising The Daemon Prism, as well as catching up on the blog, updating the website, and other tasks that feel by the wayside. Here is a teaser for what I've been working on. (Warning: possible spoiler if you've not read The Soul Mirror.)





Thou’rt Fallen, Dante. Born in frost-cold blood; suckled on pain. Thy repentance was ever a lie…

Dante the necromancer is the most reviled man in Sabria, indicted by the King, the Temple, and the Camarilla Magica for crimes against the living and the dead. Yet no judgment could be worse than his enemies’ cruel vengeance that left him crippled in body and mind. Dante seeks to salve pain and bitterness with a magical puzzle - a desperate soldier’s dream of an imprisoned enchantress and a faceted glass that can fill one’s uttermost desires.

But the dream is a seductive trap that can drive a man to murder. Its tendrils have ensnared Dante's own past and his one-time partners, threatening to unleash the very cataclysm he fears. Aided by the unlikeliest of allies, the mage embarks on a journey into madness, slavery, ancient magic, and sacred legends, only to discover the appalling truth of his own role in divine mystery…




8 comments:

Lace and Books said...

No! Not enough! *shakes with withdrawal* Need a bigger fix.

Thanks for the teaser.

Rabia said...

It sounds FANTASTIC.

I can hardly wait to read it. :D

Lady Kailen said...

I want more! It sounds SO good, but no matter how many times I double-check my calendar, it insists there's still 7 months to go until release. Really not fair ... I'm going to have to give the first two another reread (like Antiquarian, I need my fix!)

Blondepoetess said...

Oh so happy to have something to look forward to. Thanks Carol for creating such a lovely diversion from reality.

gypsyharper said...

Hi Carol! I'm glad you enjoyed your time at MISCON - I certainly enjoyed attending your panels and reading. I hope you'll come back and visit us in Missoula again sometime! I'm nearly finished reading Breath and Bone and just loving it. Valen is such a fun character!

I skipped the spoiler in this post because I haven't read any of the Collegia Magica books yet, but they're next on my list. I just had to start with Valen after listening to you talk about how you created him on the character creation panel. :)

Happy Writing!

carolwriter said...

I loved MisCon and will definitely be back. If not next year, then definitely in 2013. Glad you're enjoying Valen.

Anonymous said...

I love the cover art on your books, it's gorgeous! The teaser is great too, I'll have to be on the lookout for your stuff.

Your profile blurb amused me, I'm sort of in the same boat, except the major was Biology. Then the fantasy genre kidnapped me. At least it's a kind captor, huh?

carolwriter said...

Don't know that I would call writing of any kind a "kind captor"!! It has pretty much eaten up all the other things I used to do - gardening, needlework, music, etc. etc. Even the day job. But yes, I do love it. I think fantasy is the most delightful of all genres to write - though it does get tough along the way.