/* new */

Friday, July 31, 2009

Cover Art


At last, I have the final cover art for The Spirit Lens to show off. I think it is smashing. The artist is Gordon Crabb.

And here's the back copy:


In a kingdom on the verge of a grand renaissance, where natural science has supplanted failing sorcery, someone aims to revive a savage rivalry…







For Portier de Savin-Duplais, failed student of magic, sorcery’s decline into ambiguity and cheap illusion is but a culmination of life’s bitter disappointments. Reduced to tending the library at Sabria’s last collegia magica, he fights off despair with scholarship. But when the king of Sabria charges him to investigate an attempted murder that has disturbing magical resonances, Portier believes his dreams of a greater destiny might at last be fulfilled.

As the king’s new agente confide, Portier — much to his dismay — is partnered with the popinjay Ilario de Sylvae, the laughingstock of Sabria’s court. Then the need to infiltrate a magical cabal leads Portier to Dante, a brooding, brilliant young sorcerer whose heretical ideas and penchant for violence threaten to expose the investigation before it’s begun. But in an ever-shifting landscape of murders, betrayals, old secrets, and unholy sorcery, the three agentes will be forced to test the boundaries of magic, nature, and the divine…



17 comments:

Kerry said...

Wow, what a gorgeous cover.

Anja said...

OMG, this is awesome! Both cover and blurb. I can't wait to read it.

Kathy Amen said...

Sounds and looks terrific! What's the significance of a photo (at least it looks like one) instead of a drawing or painting? And, who's the hunk? 8-)

Anna said...

That Is a painting, not a digitally-modded photo, I'm willing to bet. Though I thought the same thing at first, since covers by artist Judy York are popular lately, and she uses photographed models. But Gordon Crabbe does these lovely, almost Pre-Raphaelite, photo-realistic paintings. I admit I may be partial to his style since I draw in a photo-realistic style myself :)

Carol, that's a gorgeous cover! I always look forward to your books for what's between the covers, but such a pretty cover is definitely a bonus!

~Anna

Betsy said...

Looks fantastic! Can't wait to get my hands on a copy. :)

carolwriter said...

If you're asking who is the actual "hunk" who sat for the artist, I've no idea. If you're asking who is the character the hunk portrays, it is Portier, of course. Don't all male librarians look like this?

ssas said...

That's gorgeous. Portier isn't half bad, either. ;)

Anna said...

When I think of male librarians, I think of Rupert Giles from Buffy. This is a definite improvement, even though I adore Giles :)

And you know, on second look (on something bigger than my iPhone), I agree with Kathy that it looks like a photo. I found a website run by the artist's agent, and he also does photographic portraits, so it looks like he may also be using photographed models and digital manipulation.

I also noticed that there are originals for sale, and that one of them was the painting commissioned for a book that never came to be, but I have loved that painting for the last 12 years! So... if it's not already purchased, it's mine! And there is a definite difference in the style of that cover painting from this one, which is what also changed my opinion.

~Anna

miakodo said...

I thought it was originally a photo, as well! Incredible skill there. I can't wait to get my hands on that book. >.< I know I'll love it as much as all your other books.

Sarah said...

The cover is nice... but the blurb is better ;-)

Di Francis said...

d it.

J. Kathleen Cheney said...

Wow! Gorgeous cover ;o)

Gabby-Lily Raines said...

Definitely going on the 'to-buy' list.

Gorgeous cover and wonderful blurb

Deb S said...

Wowza! Looks great. Sounds great.

Unknown said...

Isn't he pretty! And the blurb sounds fantastic. Can't wait for the book.

carolwriter said...

And, yet, of the three investigators, Portier is probably the least "dramatic" in appearance. Ilario is tall, fair, and ravishingly handsome. Of course he has a mind the size of a pea. And then dark, brooding Dante, though only slightly taller than Portier, has these intense green eyes...

Sophie Malatynski said...

LOL! ill have u know that is not a painting, that is indeed my brother. poser.