/* new */

Monday, August 3, 2009

The Heart's Coda (maybe)

This has been quite a month. The aforementioned medical issue included my first ever surgery - as I said before all with most satisfactory resolution. But I kept wanting to take naps all month - and I hate naps. And then the Song of the Beast story, tentatively titled The Heart's Coda, just ate my brain! Aidan was always such a sweetheart, you know, but he's been out there with the dragons for three very long years...

Oh, did you think I was going to tell you something else?

Since you looked, here's a snippet:


The man towered over me. Senai born, no doubt of it, with such exceptional height, thick, black hair, and strong, lean features. He appeared not so much burnt as angry. Not so much dead as tired and dirty and underfed. Eyes closed, face twisted in effort, he blurted, "Who?"

I swallowed the knots collected in my throat and attempted to bow from my prostrate position which I was not confident enough to alter. No Elhim in the world, not even my progenitor who is exceptionally tall and broad in the back for my race, would reach this man's shoulder. And the shredded garments, and the tangled hair grown out in all directions, even sprouted from his face—which I had been told was not at all his customary aspect—gave MacAllister a savage appearance. Surely living in the wild so long alone with beasts must tax a man's reason.



The speaker, as you may note, is an Elhim named Glyn par Davyn - yes, Davyn's "progeny." And no, the story does not address Elhim procreation. That will be matter for another story.

But thank goodness, the story is now done and sent away. Hooray! I will update with publication news when I have some.

7 comments:

miakodo said...

Yeah!! Sounds awesome. Can't wait to read the whole thing. ^__^

Deb Smythe said...

The story does sound awesome. And hope you're feeling better. Nap if you need to!

Anna said...

Ooooooooooooooooooh! Poor Aidan!
I love it already :D

Also very glad you seem to be feeling better (what with that tease before the snippet and all ;)

~Anna

carolwriter said...

Still napping, but I think it's because of spending the week with my son's two-year-old. What a ball of fire! (And she loves reading books, and singing and dancing, and tea parties, and splashing in the water.) Back to work tomorrow.

Gabby-Lily Raines said...

I think I'm going to become extra bouncy 'til the book is published, then read (and re-read ad infinitum).

carolwriter said...

Heart's Coda is currently a novelette (~10K words) not a novel (mine run about 160K)

Gabby-Lily Raines said...

My mistake.

Either way though - much excitement. I've liked all the books I have read so far, but Song of the Beast has been re-read almost to the point of needing a new copy.